08 May 2007

Wired...

...or not, as is the case here.

Well I'm still stuck in Darwin, sans-camera, and more importantly, sans-motorcycle!

After resolving the first issue of the missing nut, I discovered a new one. A fault in one of the wires buried deep within the ignition system, which was causing the starter motor to fire constantly, even when the engine was running. This resulted in an annoying whining noise being emitted from the bike, and more worryingly the potential of a burnt out starter. Luckily I managed to limp round to the local bike place here in Darwin, where the problem was quickly diagnosed.

However, as usually happens with me and problems, it happened at the start of a three day weekend; hence my current status of being 'stuck' in Darwin. With any luck I should be picking up Gosling 1 today (tuesday) at some point, so I'll be able to stave off the onset of cabin fever, and my growing desire to mow down the entire population of the town with a large machine gun.

To keep myself entertained I've trawled through my pictures to find a few more to post, which appear at the bottom of this text. Just a tip for any travellers arriving in Darwin: Don't stay at the 'Leprechaun Inn / Caravan Park' on the Stuart Highway. It's run by the most petty, small minded, self important and jumped up little Hitlers that I've ever had the misfortune to come across. There, my civic duty is done, consider yourselves warned.

Being stuck has meant that I've had a bit more time with the friends I made over in Broome, who recently arrived in Darwin; and I've also met two German couples, travelling from Germany to Australia over the course of a couple of years. They too are stuck without their bikes, as they are somewhere incarcerated within the bowels of a container ship, on their way here. A problem shared is a problem halved and all that!



Landcruiser in need of some 'TLC'



The bike is a photographer as well as a mode of transport


Camping in Shothole Canyon (don't tell anyone, it's not permitted!)


Keeping clean


Night time bugs in a spotlight at El Questro Station on the Gibb River Road


Pilbara Iron train, 2km long!


Unfair competition for the local supply of fish


Guess which side fork seal was leaking?


Pelican at Monkey Mia


The kids thought losing the 4x4 was a great laugh


NOT crossing the Pentecost River on the Gibb River Road


Just to remind y'all it's not a bloody holiday! :-)


Shothole Canyon








2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:50 am

    Ahoy!

    Some damned good pics there, me old sunshine! I hope you've patched up things between you and the bike, it doesn't pay to stay angry - especially on the open road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could always swapp the bike for a horse

    ReplyDelete