17 August 2007

Someone shot my hamster...

This is the new VERY fuel efficient model of Gosling One:

Unsurprisingly for a mechanical device associated with me, things became a bit more complicated than a simple top-end rebuild. Various seized bolts in awkward positions meant that the engine needed to be removed to gain access. (ordinarily this wouldn't have been necessary apparently) Of course getting the engine out proved to be an impossible task due to a seized bolt / axle in the swing arm. Hammers worthy of Hercules himself, and even heat applied to the problem area proved fruitless. Eventually the only option left employ a sharp object to cut the offending bolts off.

I'm assured by the doctor that it is all "downhill from here", although hopefully he was referring to the level of difficulty for the remaining procedures and not Gosling One's survival chances!

The most annoying thing about all this is that I can't get in there and assist. I think I'd make a good nurse, I've got the hips for one of those nurses outfits. I'm stuck getting updates via telephone and pressing my nose up against the plexiglass window in the workshop; I'm not allowed in because of the insurance risk annoyingly.

My wallet may require some CPR and a defibrillator after all this though.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 am

    I feel for you. Hope you are back on too wheels asap, but enjoy Melbourne while you are here :-) gpxbabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two updates in a week! you must be bored without your bike ;0D

    Not alot to report here, heading up to yorkshire tomorrow for a week of stomping up hill and down dale. Will send you some pics of us getting rained on.

    ReplyDelete