01 December 2007

Planes, trains and floaty metal things...

First up, apologies those few valiant souls that read this blog, for the lack of updates just recently; i've been doing some of that...erm, what's it called...horrible stuff...work, yes that's it! so there has been little to report.

My time in Australia is finally drawing to a close, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the people I've met along the way for their help, support and friendship. The expedition round Australia wouldn't have been the same without you.

I'd also like to offer my gratitude to those who helped support MSF during my motorcycle adventure, and also to mention that the donation page is still open for those that wish to contribute to the good works done by MSF.

What's going on then? Well, let me fill you in... Expiring visas and a bank account that echos worryingly when you yell into it, means that the time has finally come for me to start the journey "home".

So, how does one get back to the UK from Australia? Direct flight I hear you say? Nay, not for me I cry! Sensible option that, but as I think i've mentioned before, I don't really do sensible any more.

So to that end, I present my route home: (or at least to Italy, from there it's anyones guess as to how I'll get back to the UK)




Click the map for an easier to read version. Basically it's a flying cigar tube to Singapore (again), then on to Xiamen in China. With any luck from there I'll be catching a train for the 25 hour journey north to Shanghai. Once in Shanghai I intend to run around like a headless chicken, in an attempt to find which berth, and at which port my transport to Italy has docked at; the MV Al Fujairah:

The MV Al Fujairah, or Gosling II as I like to call her

Now speed is clearly not the realm in which this beast resides, at 216m long, 32m wide and weighing in at 45,470 tonnes, you can safely say I won't be setting any speed records for the trip from Shanghai to Italy; in fact, it's scheduled to take 24 days. (give or take a few due to weather, diversions and /or miscellaneous pirate activity)

24 days at sea...all I want for Christmas is calm seas; you hear me Mother Nature?! Calm dammit!

I'll be keeping this blog updated as often as possible, much like before; although I'd imagine the posts will be less to do with motorcycles and more of the nautical variety. I've got my fingers crossed that the vessel will be crewed entirely by good looking women, although I think that's probably a bit of a long shot.

The only depressing thing about this whole exercise, is the fact that I've had to sell Gosling One in order to be able to even remotely fund the trip back. A plus point is that she's going to a good home, and will continue to bounce around all over Australia. (Cue the Born Free music, and some sniffling from the audience)

Cast off all lines ya scallywags!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:13 pm

    WoW!!! Very very interesting post. Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:53 am

    Ah, so the journey draws to a close. Thanks for all the updates, I've enjoyed following your progress. Hope you have a safe trip back to Blighty!

    ReplyDelete